Brainy Quote

Monday, February 1, 2010

The Call


I am reading Bonhoeffer, and yes, me being me it is taking a while to read, think, re read, meditate, maybe with luck understand.  He makes the case that as Jesus passed Levi, (Mark 2;14) he just said follow me and Levi did. Period, no get to know you stage, no big mighty confession. The call demanded an action and so Levi followed. Why do we not do that? Why do we have to "think about it" or hesitate because of all it requires. All we  have to say is "Here am I, Lord, Send me" (Isaiah 6:8). He wants our commitment to a life following Christ, not the excuses why "in a minute Lord, not now".
I am not saying you must not make plans. Lord knows if I tried to take off for Albania today, I would have a mess.  Who would pick me up at the airport? Where do I live when I get there? How do I eat? Money? Plas do have to be made. But I tell you, just committing to Jesus that you will follow him anywhere, leads you down interesting and joyful paths.

It is the commitment he desires.


"The disciple is dragged out of his relative security (which is in truth the relative security of and safety of the fellowship of Jesus), from a life which is observable and calculable (it is, in fact, quite incalculable) into a life where everything is unobservable and fortuitous (that is, into one which is necessary and calculable), out of the realm of finite (which is in truth the infinite) into the realm of infinite possibilities (which is the one liberating reality)." -Dietrich Bonhoeffer


What are your thoughts?

1 comment:

Carol said...

rough translation: ^ ^ Thank you for sharing, I wish you live forever fun and excitement!