Brainy Quote

Saturday, May 17, 2008

April 19,2008 Psalms, Hymns and Spiritual Songs

I recieved a letter, an "anonymous" letter this week. It was in a plain white envelope with no return address. Now my history with blank white envelopes is not a good one. Those of you in my neighborhood know I have received these letters before from some poor sap in the hood who has nothing better than to watch my grass grow. So with hesitation I opened it. Instead, it was a beautiful hand written note from five friends who had written with their hearts. Things they see in me and who (Christ) they see in me. I was deeply touched.

We so often listen to the little voices in our heads that tell us all our faults and shortcomings. We struggle with behaviors and habits and feel we are getting no where because we tell ourselves we are no good. A letter like this one let me see that what others see, it is the voice I need to be attuned to. Now I don't mean that we should preoccupy our time with what others are thinking. I mean that part of being a Christian community is we encourage one another. I felt as if God was telling me these words of encouragement because they were so "on the money" with were I feel I run short.

The verse that my friends were claiming was Hebrews 10:24 "Let us consider how me may spur each other on toward love and good deeds". My friends have done this, they have spured me on, they have encouraged me and so now I can encourage or spur another on.

This week I had been telling myself that people could not possibley see Christ in me as I am so weak, uncareing, I complain, I am rude and cruel. Its like Paul said what I want to be I can't be, what don't want to do, I do...or something like that.These few words let me know that what I am actually struggling with and striving for is coming to fruition. That Christ is indeed working in me. And especially as a single person, there is no one to hold you accountable in your everyday, every hour life. No one to say, 'oh, carol that was very cruel what you just said" and on the other hand, no one to say "I am noticing a change in you about how you treat people, good job".
This little letter was this for me.

Ephesians 5:19 says, "Speak to one another with psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs." This was done to me this day. My freinds sang me a psalm, a spiritual song that thier God spirit, sang to my God spirit inside us. There is nothing better than that! It was a balm to my soul from God.

So to those of you who were part of this, thank you. I am blessed to call you my sister in Christ and count you as my family and dearest friends.

To those of you who are just reading this, go and sing a spiritual song to someone you know and is your brother or sister in Christ. Tell them what you see in them that is from God. Not only will you encourage them, but you will spur them on to more good deeds and love

No comments: