Brainy Quote

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Ba humbugs and Ho Ho Ho's

We all know that the Christmas season brings out the best and worst in all of us. But until this year I had not carried that over to the best and worst in Christmas Decor. Now in my neighborhood we are known as the poor little Jewish family on the corner - you see for the longest time all we had to offer the 'hood was a Star of David on the side of the house and a menorah in the window.

You see the 'hood used to have a competition for outside Christmas Decorations that either guy on left or guy on right across the street have always won. You could light the entire city of London with the wattage coming out of their yards. Anyway, so I just would say "no".

This year driving from the church (across the street) to the house, on the way home from thanksgiving dinner, what do I see? I see the neighbor on the right, putting up lights...once his were lit that night, the next am, the guy on the left to him was at it. (ps. my house is still the dark one as my Star of David died.) For twelve years I have watched this dance continue, but I have to say this year..the guy on the left has outdone himself.

We have our normal yearly assortment, although guy on the right has branched out to colored lights instead of icicle lights. I was sitting in my bed reading to Heidi and I heard this music. "Great", I think, "we are getting bump music down the stree, again". But it kept on. So I grab my slippers and Heidi and we go out to look, peeking around the garage door (which is stuck again) and we hear "Have a Holly Jolly Christmas" blaring down the street. Weird. The next night, the same thing but "Jingle Bells", to make a long week short - I think the guy has hooked up the Christmas radio station to his lights and timer!

Ba Humbug to that! I don't like it, I think it is a bad idea.

Sams dorm has a lighting contest. His dorm "Sullivan" is guys and they all pitched in to buy tons of lights...They call themselves the Sulli Bros and the dorm Sulli. They put the lights up on the roof and it spells SULLI , awesome!

Ho Ho Ho's to the Sulli Bros.


So who do you give Ba Humbugs to and Ho Ho Ho's?

3 comments:

Poshwillow said...

i used to live in sullivan, sullivan 89. haha, that's awesome sam is in there. oh and about that guy blaring music that is totally not cool. The apts. that have been done in my area are great! the barista that lives down from me has an awesome light up wreath on the balcony. yay.

Jool said...

I really like CHristmas lights. Decorating your house is really big here in Oz because it's summer too. SOme areas have wonderful displays as the neighbourhoods have competitions and stuff. However Christmas decorations are a real matter of TASTE. SOme look lovely - others look like they have just chucked every light they can find on the front of the house and gone - that's good - it's not! Take your time, be creative and do it right!!!

Unknown said...

I give a bah-humbug to someone with the "banned" name...who may (or may not) have "accidentally" severed the power cord attached to the lights wrapped around our two front big-bush-trees. 3 years ago.

I give a Ho Ho Ho to my yard man, Tim, who is a true answer to prayer. Tim came and trimmed all my bushes, etc. yesterday (because I suddenly lived in the jungle) and in the process, removed the no-longer-working lights from the bush/trees. 3 years later.