Brainy Quote

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Joy (capital j) gives joy (little j).

I awoke this morning to snow all over the ground. I was warm in my bed (note: i love my bed) with my down comforter, Heidi (the wonder-dog) and one cat. I had my quilt pulled up over my head...ah contentment. Then I realized that it is the quilt that added to my contentment.
My dear sister Joy makes quilts. In fact, I have the honor of owning the very first quilt. It was pink and green (80's version) and in a wall hanging size. I used to hang it on the wall for all to see. That quilt started an obsession for Joy and lots of joy for our family. She set out to quilt everyone in our family a quilt. Not a large
family, but many quilts none the less.
THis Christmas marks a turn around year. My sister Julie received her quilt, and I got one too! The circle was complete. Joy had given everyone a quilt..rejoicing ensued until she remembered she never really finished her husbands! That was quickly taken care of over the next few days... But here is my new quilt. And Julie
s for good measure..
Any how, as I snuggled down in my bed covered by my new quilt (more modern pinks, greens and tans) I felt loved. I felt my big sisters cuddles from when I was small and she was big. That quilt is definately going to Albania even if I have to carry it on my back!
In studying those crazy Israelites in Exodus and their continuous grumbling (not unlike myself), The part where Moses named a place "The Lord is my Banner" came to mind as I snuggled down. "His Banner over me is love" like my tangible quilt, God desires to smother me in love to cover me so I feel wanted, warm and loved. Like remembering my sisters cuddles and love, He wants us to feel his love and know he is there. So when it is hard to not see or feel God, I think I will get out my quilt, snuggle down, remember my sisters love and know that God feels that for me even more even more than my sweet Joy.

2 comments:

Jool said...

I told you they were magic quilts! Wherever I take it (and I took it everywhere.. I sleep contentedly. It must be the banner/cuddle quilt!

Unknown said...

Now I'm crying at work. My quilt (well I have like 4 now...and The Cs have a few each, too...) - is hanging on the wall in my bedroom (and on my guest bed, and in the hall closet, and on Cole's bed as extra warmth...)

She's the best. That Joy.