Brainy Quote

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Pride Comes Before a Fall


Looking back over the last year, God has taught me so many things and given me so many things. The biggest of which is my desire to serve in Albania. Along with this desire, God is teaching me to simplify and let go. This actually came pretty easy to me being raised as a PK/MK and moving most of my life every year or two. Material things don't really mean much to me and I never felt like I fit in to the "American" way of collect, gather, keep and get new ones. I finally realized (with God's nudging) that is ok to go with that feeling and not fit in. So this past year I got rid of alot of "stuff" paired down my financial stuff and try to live simply at home. It fits for me. I was just thinking that, wow it is working, I am doing really well with this simplifying...
Never start patting yourself on the back...as the words came across my mind that night, I knew better. For yesterday I totally skrewed up my checking account. The old "thought all checks were thru so I paid more bills". Nope. For the one step forward I thought I had made financially, I slipped and went two steps back. I am resigned to feel that checking accounts are not for me. I am going to simplify with cash.
Any who, the lesson here is don't think, Carol that you have "mastered" anything God is trying to teach me. Humility is part of being a Christ follower and I must never forget it.
Being here at school with out my "marked up" Bible, I cannot find a verse for this thought, but on the way home last night as I was crying saying - You are so stupid to my self over and over - A friend of mine's song came on in the car...

I believe God is
Who He said He is

I believe He will do
What He said
He will do

There is no promise
He will not keep

There is no valley
He made too deep
I will follow where he leads
'Cos I believe.

Do I REALLY believe that? I had to ask myself. God has said he will provide for all my needs. God has said he would give me a desire. God has said if I am obedient, He will sustain. These promises are real. I have to believe that God is teaching me something big before I can go to Albania. The other thing is there is no valley HE MADE too deep. He made it so I would learn from it. All I must do is follow and obey. Not boast about it.

Please pray that God will continue to teach me, that I will continue to be teachable, and I will not boast in myself but what he has changed in me.

5 comments:

roaringlamb3 said...

Thank you for sharing that, Carol. It is so true. It seems that every time we start to think we have it all together, he needs to show us again that we don't-at least not without total dependence on Him to do it. I love your genuine heart and transparency.

Unknown said...

Big hugs, to me from you - or to you from me, I mean...(it's all the same, yes?) I love you.

Janet Weible Jackson said...

So sorry that things are so hard for you! God is going to bless you beyond measure!!

I too am very convicted that collecting "things" is not fulfilling for me, nor do I believe that they honor God in any way. This year will be my year of "less is more" as I clean out, clear out, give away, throw away all the things that clutter and enslave me....because I now have to dust them all, arrange and rearrange, all the clutter in my home/life. Who's in control anyway?

Thanks for that reminder! I will start one room at a time-10 items per room-and de-clutter!

I am convinced that we spend the first 50 years of our lives collecting things and the next 50 years trying to keep it all in order or getting rid of it all!

Love you girl! God is so proud of your humility!! I know he is!

charlton said...

What awesome song lyrics! Can I buy that anywhere? O wait, this is about not buying stuff. You think the writer would just give me a copy?

Jool said...

Poor Bubs, sorry you had such a bad time with your cheque book and losing your boarder. It happens to all of us!
My motto for 2009 is the little sign I bought *Simplify*. I have just had 3 weeks living at the beach in a simple little cubby house tent and only the basics and loved it. We can live simply. (but I do like being home in my bed!)

We will praY that we each get a new boarder!