Brainy Quote

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Portokalli - Got Oranges?

You got oranges? Is your life bearing fruit?What do people say about you and what your life looks like? Both Christian and Non, are watching us. How do we handle conflict? Do we really put others ahead of ourselves, have you died to yourself?
Galatians 5:22-23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

Take a minute and take a short measure of your day, were you loving, did you have joy, did you feel peace or promote peace, were you kind, good and faithful, were you gentle with someone, did you control your needs and wants for yourself? AH, the last one is the hardest, self-control.

2 Peter 1 implores that self-control is needed for spiritual growth. Proverbs speaks volumes about how a controlled tongue shows your self-control. Luke says we are to use selflessness with our money, Mark talks about denying selfish urges. Revelation mentions how it keeps us from being sensitive to weaker brothers.
I believe selfishness is cured by service. Philippians 2 talks about service in this respect. I also believe fruit is seen thru service. So here is my question. How are you serving God's people? How are you serving the seekers in this world?

If you are not serving in your church in some capacity, sorry, you are not bearing fruit. You have no oranges. Sorry, no oranges. Face up, fess up. Read Philippians 2.

OK, now that I have offended everyone I know, and you think this is about you in particular, it isn't about you - This was just on my mind....

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Now I have that song in my head - "You're so vain, I bet you think this blog is about you..." - I'm proud of you for your kindness and gentle spirit. Service is that for which we are called...we are ALL called. It is our purpose. and all things are called according to HIS purpose, right? I heart you.

Carol said...

I heart you too, dynomite!

Susan L. Prince said...

I'm not serving in my church. Actually, I never covenanted with my church. Not sure it's "my" church.

We BEAR fruit...we don't grow it.

If we abide in Christ, there will be fruit. He makes it grow out of us, the fruit is Him. We do nothing to grow the fruit, we just need to be a good branch.

We can not be self-controlled without Him. Otherwise it is will power and will not last. It will be picked from the branch and fall flat on the ground. If we remain in Him, that fruit will continue to grow.

That fruit may or may not be on display at church. Mostly it is displayed in our day to day interactions.

Alicia Beth said...

Very thoughtful post ! This verse is my favorite and I have to confess that I struggle with self control so it was interesting you zoned in on that one :) Love ya Peppa Sista and I'll see you soo !

Carol said...

But then, what is the church? Are we not to use our spiritual gifts for the edification of the church, the building up of the church, Christ's bride?
Service is what we are called to. To be doers, not hearers of the word. If everyone did not serve or covenant with each other, there would be no body to worship with...

Katie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan L. Prince said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan L. Prince said...

That fruit may or may not be on display at church. Mostly it is displayed in our day to day interactions.

The church is a body of believers, Christ's Bride, correct. The church is filled with believers anointed with the gifts of the Holy Spirit to edify each other and glorify God. That happens in my life of service, just maybe not within walls of rocks and steel.

I just don't think I agree with your statement "If you are not serving in your church in some capacity, sorry, you are not bearing fruit."

There should be no such thing as "my church", it is Christ's church.

Carol said...

Yes, it is Christ's church. I agree we are to use our spiritual gifts as you said to the building up and edification of the church. Everything you do, every relationship from best friend to lady at the check out is a ministry and it is where we can show Christ's love.
But, once you become a Christ follower, we are to serve. Where we serve is a church community. Acts 1 and 2. This service is something different. We are called to be in community and use our spiritual gifts to edify and build up the church. Serving friends, serving family are all ways to minister, but Jesus does call us to serve who we don't want to serve. Maybe serving coffee with someone you don't like. Maybe sitting with someone and playing cards when you want to go home and sleep. Maybe moving a church member and you hate to pack. I have done all these things, not to say I am great and holy, BUT i would have missed so many blessing from God if I had not served the community of my church. Yes, I serve at school, my kids are drug addict kids, they have no parents, they are abused, that is one of my ministries, but I could never do that without my church community holding me up.
That all. I am just stating my opinion, I am not accusing anyone, as my blog said. It was on my heart for the world, I wrote, you disagree, I love you.

Susan L. Prince said...
This comment has been removed by the author.