Brainy Quote

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Fall Foliage, Beards and Nuts.


Heidi was out playing in the leaves this morning and she just bounces around in them, it is very adorable. Every now and then, when ever she is outside, she will look up to check that I am watching. Now whether this is an endearment, " oh, my mummy is watching me, she loves me" or a "dang, she be watching, how can I run away to my freedom when she be watching". Either way today was hilarious, she looks up at me, and two huge massive maple leaves, one orange, one red are hanging from her beard. I would dare anyone to not laugh.

This immediately took me back a couple of years when my sister came to visit me and we went to Fall Creek Falls for a few days (after New York, which is another story). We spent part of one afternoon following a squirrel (there aren't squirrels in Australia) so they tend to fascinate us. This guy was hunting diligently for "where the heck did I hide that one nut!" He would run and dig under the leaves, then sigh (yes we saw him sigh) and run and dig some more, this went on for a while. Finally, he rose up from a digging with the nut in his hands (yes, they have hands, this is part of the fascination) held it above his head like a trophy, and at that moment the clouds parted and sunlight streamed onto him from above, I am sure we heard a "ahhhhh" in four part harmony from the heavens. This is true, ask Julie. But, it occured to me as Heidi looked at me with added color and foliage to her beard, that God has a sense of humor. Nature has humor, as I just noted, and he created it! So as I laugh at a squirrel, Heidi or some cat that lays in the middle of my driveway (not mine by the way), I know God created humor.

What humorous God stories do you have...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey - I love me some squirrels!!! (Alpha Gamma Delta, baby...) Carson & Cole went to the dentist yesterday. Cole picked strawberry toothpast, but later told me he didn't like it. I asked him why didn't he pick something else, grape or bubble gum? He said "I wanted bubble gum, but I'm not 5 and a half yet, so I didn't think I could have the bubble gum toothpaste." (The "rule" is no gum until you're 5 and a half, obviously.)

Jool said...

Oh - the squirrel story is most definitely true!

We saw the shaft of sunlight - we heard the angels sing. It was a moment of squirrel epiphany!Julie